Here are a few questions to ask yourself before deciding to study Graphic Design as a career.
- Are you creative?
- Do you enjoy working with people?
- Are you willing to learn?
- Can you communicate effectively?
- Do you want to expand your skills and continue learning?
- Are you willing to find new ways of doing things?
- Do you enjoy being challenged?
Many people who pursue a graphic design career either already know that they are artistic and creative or they have a very strong inclination towards creativity. People who want to study graphic design are generally creative to some extent, whether they can draw or not. A career in graphic design will continually challenge you to create more unique designs, learn new skills and design techniques. Design skills are also compatible with many other job types, thus enabling you to build a very diverse career.
An example to use would be that many designers use their writing ability to join design and copywriting or they combine their creative flair with their more logical side to create stunning websites.
Would you be good at Graphic Design?
You will enjoy graphic design if you are:
- Enjoy designing
- Have an eye for details and aesthetics
- Always trying to find ways to do this more creatively and differently
- Challenges motivate and excite you
You probably are wondering why to choose a creative career in the first place. For ages, people have said that creativity should just be a hobby and creatives should get “real” jobs to put bread on the table. In a rapidly evolving world, we are starting to celebrate creativity and we are coming up with less traditional solutions to the problems.
Creatives are inclined to be well educated about other fields and display a wide variety of interests because they are driven by curiosity. This means that creatives have a wide spectrum of reference from which they can draw to enhance their work and to solve complex problems.
- Creative careers are great for the following reasons:
- Creative problem solving; you are able to think outside the box
- You meet people with similar interests and creative ways of thinking
- You can start at any age
- It is an ever-evolving field, there are many opportunities to learn more and expand your skills
What are the future prospects for graphic designers?
As a creative, you will likely have a very bright future ahead of you, provided that you continually improve your skills and find ways to compliment your current skills. Creative careers also allow you the opportunity to freelance and to begin your own business.
A creative career will always require hard work at improving your craft, that you never stop learning and that you find interesting ways of doing things. Creative careers do have their challenges, they are deadline-driven and clients may not always be on board with your creative vision. Yet the process of creating, seeing our final product and having a satisfied client is highly satisfying.